The Kenyan government's announcement of a public holiday on November 13 for a nationwide tree planting day marks a significant step in their ambitious plan to plant 15 billion trees by 2032. Interior Minister Kithure Kindiki shared the news, emphasizing the patriotic contribution of citizens to combat climate change. Adventure Farm, in collaboration with AIU University and the Area Chief, has joined this environmental cause, dedicating the 13th Monday to tree planting along Dagoretti Road and Karen Shopping Center.
Adventure Farm, an organic oasis, showcases a commitment to permaculture and agroforestry, fostering a harmonious coexistence of agriculture and nature. Every tree in their forest, from ornamental to medicinal, is named and catalogued, contributing to an educational hub where visitors, especially children, learn about the diverse benefits of each tree. Adventure Farm's innovative approach includes incorporating recycling concepts, utilizing everyday items as seed bearers, and a dam drainage system for eco-friendly practices.
The Forest of Wisdom within Adventure Farm collects animal waste for natural fertilization, contributing to a thriving ecosystem. The farm believes in forging personal connections between individuals and trees, with each tree having a name and identified benefits proudly displayed. Adventure Farm extends its commitment to environmental education, integrating tree planting into the itinerary for every visitor, including schools whose names are displayed on banners next to the trees they've planted.
The learning outcomes are extensive and varied and include;
• Children experience an opportunity to grow a strong and lasting bond to a specific natural space where they experience positive, exciting and peaceful memories that will sustain them through hardship and chaos.
• Children learn interesting and exciting facts about the natural world that supports them to feel and experience amazement and magic Learning and experiencing these things create resilient children who live life to the fullest and believe that taking care of the environment is an important part of their everyday lives as they grow.
• It is educational whilst also allowing children to play, explore and discover.
• Children who participate in environmental activities are generally observed to be happier.
• The fresh air, the excitement, getting mucky- it doesn't get a child friendlier than that. Children can originally find out more about nature and geography in their own region too.
These can all be taught through hands-on learning with these fun activities for kids;
• Collect seeds from trees and observe them, taking them apart and learning about how new trees grow.
• Make these tree jars with leaves and seeds to identify the different types of trees that forests are made up of.
• Lay a white sheet on the ground and shake a tree! This will help you observe some of the tiny bugs that depend on a forest habitat.(with a hand lens) Identify different trees.
• Identify different type of leaves, shape and beneficial adaptations Identify edible plants( Animals and human)
• Identify different types of weeds Identify flower types Forage mulberries
• Make art and crafts from leaves and grass
• Press leaves to use natural colour to copy leaf veins/leaf art- paint leaves.
• Make a flower and leaf crown Spot birds nest Make nature bracelet Collect forest treasure (twigs, brown leaves )
BENEFITS OF TREE PLANTING
Tree planting is an engaging environmental activity providing an opportunity for community involvement and empowerment which improves the quality of life in our neighbourhoods.
You're not just planting trees, you're planting a miracle: Trees do so much more than brighten the landscape, absorb greenhouse gases and provide us with winter fuel... they are life-enhancing in many other ways.
The importance of trees in human life cannot be overemphasised. They help clean the air we breathe by absorbing pollutant gases and sweep up particles like dust and smoke, and contribute to reducing the effects of climate change by trapping greenhouse gases.
Trees play a key role in capturing rainwater and reducing the risk of erosion, flooding and landslides, and provide habitats for hundreds of species of insects, fungi, moss, mammals, and plants.
They bring economic benefits to an area by raising house prices on aesthetic grounds. Trees provide food such as apples, pears, cherries, plums, etc., and their leaves, branches and barks can be used in medicine.
Trees planted in the cities can have a positive impact on mental health and wellbeing, reducing stress and encouraging outdoor activities. They also provide shade, serve as windbreaks and can moderate the heat effect caused by pavement and buildings in commercial areas.
When done well, tree planting is recognised as one of the most engaging, environmentally friendly activities that people can take part in to better the planet. Trees provide a multitude of benefits, both long and short term.
As well as being attractive aesthetically, they remove and store carbon from the atmosphere, slow heavy rain and so reduce the risk of flooding, enhance air quality and improve the urban heat island effect by reflecting sunlight and providing shade.
Guide to the best kit for a forest tour
As wonderful as the woods can be, it pays to be prepared before you head out. That's why the proper kit is essential to a safe and responsible day beneath the leaves. Rubber gumboots are best advised due to mad and would also be easy to dry incase water gets in. Long trousers and closed shoes are essential, plus warm layers and waterproof coat.
The concluding message underscores the celebration of the beauty of nature and the symbiotic relationship between humans and trees on the 13th Monday. Adventure Farm invites all to join their Environmental Day, a celebration of community, nature, and sustainable living. The tree planting event offers not only a chance to contribute to a greener environment but also educational and recreational activities for individuals and families. Adventure Farm's dedication to environmental stewardship extends beyond this special day, sowing the seeds of a greener, more sustainable future.
Adventure Farm sets a shining example for a greener and more sustainable future through its commitment to permaculture, agroforestry, recycling, and personalized tree care. The collaborative efforts on this day aim to make a lasting impact on the environment, one tree at a time.